In honor of Mother’s Day, our T1D Supermom Laura Dunn is sharing her story about being diagnosed with type 1 herself at age 4, meeting her husband who also has T1D, to then having a son diagnosed with type 1 diabetes too. From helping her son through screening, to diagnosis, to now managing type 1 diabetes, along with soccer, tee-ball and more, Laura shares what she's learned from her diabetes family.
Questions we’ll cover in this episode
- What’s it like to be a mom living with type 1? What’s it like to have a child living with type 1?
- What lessons did you learn as a kid with type 1 that affect how you do things with your kid?
- How did you meet your husband who also has diabetes?
- What were your initial thoughts on screening for T1D? Why did you ultimately decide to get your son tested? What was the process like?
- What were your emotions when you found out he tested positive for the antibodies? Were you glad to have the info?
- What was it like when your son was diagnosed with T1D?
- What would you tell other parents who are considering getting their kids screened for T1D? What happens if a child tests positive for the antibodies? Is there anything the family can do?
- How do you find a balance with your son between good control and not having to be perfect?